Saturday, July 18, 2009

Greek Food in Philly

Having spent four years this past winter/spring in Athens, Greece, I like to think that I know a little bit about Greek food. And now that I am back in America I've had some serious craving for authentic and good Greek food. My favorite Greek cuisine are: Moussaka, Grape Leaves, Pastichio, Saganaki, Tzatzichi, Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata), Domata Salata, and Kleftico. With these foods you can't go wrong! You also can't forget the Greek yogurt with honey (always a must have) for dessert or breakfast. And a glass of Retsina (for the brave of heart) is always a good mix with food (especially fish)! Now as a strong critic of Greek food I have been looking for great places in Philly to enjoy some of my favorite cuisine. It takes a lot to impress me when it comes to such food, especially after spending four months with the legit stuff, but I have found a restaurant that has done just that.



I was a bit worried when I saw the menu for this place (what can I say I'm a thrifty college student), but Estia was
pleasantly surprising. I went there for lunch today and fell in love. Not only did they have warm and inviting staff and a beautifully decorated dining space (as well as bathroom which took the cake for me), but they had authentic and delicious Greek food! Even out waiter was from Athens! The selection and decor of the restaurant reminded me of beloved Greece and many of the restaurants I dined in during my time there. I dined there for lunch with my friends who had also studied with me in Greece and I can say equivocally that we all enjoyed the food. I order the lunch 2 course special of Domata Salata and the Moussaka ($17 not including tax and tip) and was extremely happy and satisfied by the end of my meal. I never expected to find Greece again in Philadelphia so easily, but now that I have I will be back to enjoy and reminisce. They have a very extensive wine list from all over, but the glasses and bottles are not cheap. The food is a bit pricey as well ($$$) but definitely worth it for the quality. One thing I will say is that I would have loved to have ended my lunch with a Greek dessert, but though I did not, I was too stuffed from the bread, salad, and moussaka to really care all that much. So for authentic and quality Greek food in Philly, Estia is the place to go.






No comments: